“Ancient moon priestesses were called virgins. ‘Virgin’ meant not married, not belonging to a man - a woman who was ‘one-in-herself’. The very word derives from a Latin root meaning strength, force, skill; and was later applied to men: virle. Ishtar, Diana, Astarte, Isis were all all called virgin, which did not refer to sexual chastity, but sexual independence. And all great culture heroes of the past, mythic or historic, were said to be born of virgin mothers: Marduk, Gilgamesh, Buddha, Osiris, Dionysus, Genghis Khan, Jesus - they were all affirmed as sons of the Great Mother, of the Original One, their worldly power deriving from her. When the Hebrews used the word, and in the original Aramaic, it meant ‘maiden’ or ‘young woman’, with no connotations to sexual chastity. But later Christian translators could not conceive of the ‘Virgin Mary’ as a woman of independent sexuality, needless to say; they distorted the meaning into sexually pure, chaste, never touched.”
— Monica Sjoo, The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth (via dilfcomplex)
(Source: ynannarising, via wsswatson)
• 24 July 2014 • 73,741 notes
Benedict Cumberbatch for BAFTA - In Focus: Acting [x]
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”
— Samuel Beckett
(Source: midnytemercury, via get-bored-and-shoot-the-wall)
• 22 July 2014 • 5,490 notes
Hey! Made a compilation of the darkest corners of the internet.
- Dionaea House: a horrifying story, told through two guys mail conversation, about a haunted house
- Page of Ted: another haunting story about a man’s experience in an uncharted cave
- Castle of Spirits: a website with ghost stories, experiences and pictures. my mom banned me from going here because I used to freak myself out as a kid from this website
- Deep Cave: A man breaks scuba depth world record and finds the body of the last man to attempt it while down there. He makes plans to recover the body, but dies during the attempt. This is his website, as he left it, before he went on his last dive.
- Reborn Baby Dolls: where you can buy dolls that look EXACTLY and feel EXACTLY like a newborn baby
- Find a Grave: a website where you can find the graves of ancestors or famous people, create virtual memorials, add ‘virtual flowers’ and a note to a loved one’s grave
- This Man: a website about 1000’s of people all over the world, dreaming of the same man. Some say he’s the devil some say he’s god.
- Exit Mundi: a collection of end of the world scenario’s
- Haunted House: where you can find any haunted house in the U.S
- Truthism: an extremely wacko cult website about how reptilian aliens are responsible for everything wrong, how humanity is controlled by aliens and how the sun is a cube and that the inner Earth exists
- The Jonestown Mass Suicide Death Tape: Trigger warning and you know why
- Shaye Saint John: The story/myths behind Shaye Saint John is that she was a hot woman who was horribly disfigured in a car accident. As a result, she appears in public wearing this creepy mask, and hobbles along with prosthetic legs and hands. This is her website
- SCP Foundation: collection of fictional works that its members contribute that deal with the “paranormal”. They range all the way from a television working without a broadcasting station, to deadly creatures that have never been encountered
- Blog of Joseph E. Duncan: sentenced to death by a federal jury on August 27, 2008 for the kidnapping, of Dylan and Shasta Groene and murder of Dylan. He had been convicted of a sex crime years before. Go back to the beginning and read forward. You can trace his further descent into madness.
- Annie96 is typing: a creepy chat between two teenagers that has a horrific twist at the end
Alright, I hope you enjoy. Maybe look through these one day at a sleep over with some friends. That would be fun.
And don’t worry. NONE of these are screamers. I wouldn’t do that.
Speaking of sleepovers, here’s a masterpost of creepy sleep-over games
• 22 July 2014 • 101,020 notes
“So now the perception is, yes, women are here to stay. And when I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the Supreme Court]? And I say when there are nine, people are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that.”
— Ruth Bader Ginsburg taking down the patriarchy like the fucking hero that she is. (via whoistorule)
• 12 July 2014 • 6,443 notes
My new favorite gif set.
I fucking love cats
I fucking lost it at the vacuum.
cats are aliens and i love them
(Source: iraffiruse, via myriniponddeadlyrocker)
• 11 July 2014 • 447,489 notes
Bing Wright, Broken Mirror/Evening Sky, (2012).
• 8 July 2014 • 1,493 notes
RINKO KIKUCHI PHOTOGRAPHED BY MARIANO VIVANCO
STYLING: NICOLA FORMICHETTI
DSECTION Issue 08
• 4 July 2014 • 7,443 notes